Geo Bee Hotspot
March 28, 2024, 02:14:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Staff List Login Register  

Geography Game

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Geography Game  (Read 421 times)
Lutheranwhiz

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2007, 11:18:24 am »

Hey, BravesBeeDude, do you think we could get a geobee game or quiz on this site like Infinitia or GeoCommander on gbc? I bet if you asked Manis, he could do it.
Go Geobee Quiz!!

Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now until the hour of our death. Amen.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 11:26:33 am by Lutheranwhiz » Report Spam   Logged

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Simul Justis et Peccator

Ave María, grátia plena, Dóminus tecum. Benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus fructus ventris tui, Jesus.
Sancta María, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatóribus, nunc et in hora mortis nostræ. Amen.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BravesBeeDude33
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:19:24 am »

Yeah, I'll ask him, I think that would be cool.

I'm not very tech-saavy, so he's going to be my "tech man"
Report Spam   Logged
Lutheranwhiz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 11:27:36 am »

You should make him an admin, since he's the only one who knows a lot about technology. I'm a tecnophobe, unfortunately.

Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now until the hour of our death. Amen.
Report Spam   Logged

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Simul Justis et Peccator

Ave María, grátia plena, Dóminus tecum. Benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus fructus ventris tui, Jesus.
Sancta María, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatóribus, nunc et in hora mortis nostræ. Amen.
BravesBeeDude33
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 11:32:28 am »

You're right, he shall be my only admin (besides me)
Report Spam   Logged
Lutheranwhiz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 11:33:23 am »

Cool *runstoPMmanis*

Report Spam   Logged

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Simul Justis et Peccator

BravesBeeDude33
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 11:36:41 am »

I already PM'd him, but feel free if you want!   

\
Report Spam   Logged
Lutheranwhiz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 11:39:29 am »

Just did, on gbc, though, because he'll probably go there first.

Report Spam   Logged

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Simul Justis et Peccator

roptor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 11:32:28 am »

Braves, could I ever become an admin?
Report Spam   Logged
BravesBeeDude33
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 04:05:13 pm »

Why are you dying to become an admin?
Report Spam   Logged
manis tricuspis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 04:19:23 pm »

Just did, on gbc, though, because he'll probably go there first.

Did I get your pm? I remember people have been asking me if I could make gc2 or a clean version of infinitia...the answer is I could try, but I don't know if it will work out. See, even if I do manage to sharpen my coding prowess and make those two, someone has to host it. Host the database, and host the program. I could host it, it would be secure, even if somebody hacked it, I would have backups, and they wouldn't be able to touch my computer (unless they knew where I lived).

But the problem is this: my computer keeps overheating (it doesn't take that long), it can't keep cool enough in the summer; I'm trying to work on a solution (grrr, hardware). And somebody has to pay for all that power. My only source of income is my warehouse job until my mom let's me make money online.

Now another solution is to have some random web server host it...but you have to pay to use php and mysql, and has limited bandwidth without paying. Usually. I haven't seen one that has this stuff for free, not even one with an ulterior motive, but I haven't looked for a while.

Also, just to note, this site is just hosting this software for free (well, there's ads). There is no coding or whatever, you just signup and they host smf forums. That is the service this site offers.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 04:23:00 pm by manis tricuspis » Report Spam   Logged
BravesBeeDude33
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 08:12:43 pm »

Huh... Well I guess we will do w/e possible.. Keep your eyes open GBHS members!
Report Spam   Logged
manis tricuspis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 08:25:35 pm »

Okay, hosting...that basically means someone's computer has to churn out all of this stuff. Simple Machines Forums, this is just software that a computer is running. Someone else's computer. There are two categories, desktop computer and webserver. You use a desktop computer. The server is what your desktop computer connects to. When you browse a website, someone's computer, a webserver, is processing the requests your computer sends to it. Then it spits back some data, and your computer processes it.

Hosting: the forums software is written in PHP, I'm pretty sure. That is a programming language, many sets of instructions. That's why you see php in the url (that's in the address bar, like http://www.google.com). The SMF forums stores all the information (usernames, passwords, forums posts, etc.) into a database, which is an organized collection of data, usually alot of data. In order for all of this to work, someone has to have the database on a server, the php programs (SMF forums) on the server, the images etc. on the server, and an operating system, the program that controls the whole server and allows all this complicated stuff to work. Last of all, we need regular ole desktop computers to access the servers, else the servers are useless, as they serve no purpose.

So, smfforfreee3 is hosting (in other words it owns it and lets you access it or its services) the os, the database, the forums software, the images, the security, pretty much everything. They put ads on the site, and in exchange, you get to sign up for free which no hassle (i.e. you don't need your own server and don't have to set much up).

Tell me if this is unclear or what part I need to explain more.
Report Spam   Logged
BravesBeeDude33
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 08:31:51 pm »

Sounds good.
Report Spam   Logged
manis tricuspis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 08:33:31 pm »

Did I answer your question?
Report Spam   Logged
manis tricuspis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 08:52:48 pm »

Hey, this forum allows extensions! One can even install a PHP game! Hmmm...
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum